Iberdrola's Carbon2Nature Cuts Global Carbon
Marking a remarkable stride in the realm of environmental stewardship, Iberdrola proudly announces the launch of Carbon2Nature (C2N).
With a steadfast mission to foster the development of transformative nature-based projects, C2N sets out to curtail the global carbon footprint, bolster biodiversity, and advance a resilient and sustainable economy.
Born from a profound belief that investing in nature constitutes an imperative response to the pressing climate and biodiversity crises, C2N stands as a beacon for cultivating enduring value and profitability while safeguarding the planet.
C2N capitalises on the potential inherent in carbon credit markets, propelling the conception of proprietary or collaborative endeavours that yield premium carbon credits. These credits will be made available to customers, acting as a catalyst on their journey toward net zero emissions and seamlessly complementing their ambitious decarbonisation strategies.
Foreseeing a monumental achievement, C2N anticipates the capture and sequestration of over 61 million tonnes of CO2. A driving force behind this effort lies in the promotion of ecosystem preservation and rejuvenation across more than 100,000 hectares, encompassing lush forests, coastal ecosystems (often referred to as blue carbon), and fertile agricultural soils.
These projects not only avert emissions through the prevention of degradation but also facilitate enhanced carbon sequestration while simultaneously nurturing manifold environmental and societal advantages. Furthermore, C2N is poised to instigate initiatives championing innovative solutions and sustainable production processes.
Strategically grounded in regions where Iberdrola maintains a robust presence, C2N's blueprint highlights its expansive reach. Notably, Latin American nations such as Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, and Chile are set to host a resounding 80% of these groundbreaking initiatives, while countries in the northern hemisphere—including Spain, the United Kingdom, and Portugal—will contribute to the remaining 20%. Even now, C2N is actively spearheading projects across Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, and Spain.
Miguel Ángel García Tamargo, Director of Carbon2Nature, articulates, "In confronting the global climate challenge, our establishment was borne of a vision to wield enduring international influence. To achieve this, we ardently pursue geographic and project diversification, advocating for collaborative strategies in partnership with local communities and stakeholders, thereby ensuring unparalleled quality.
"As we step into this new frontier, we carry with us the humility and desire to redefine conventions, enmeshing Iberdrola's rich sustainability experience with the realm of nature-based solutions and carbon credit generation."
Crucially, every undertaking will undergo rigorous certification against globally recognised standards, serving as a hallmark of their contribution to elevating biodiversity, enhancing the well-being of local populations, and aligning with other Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
A Testament to Zero Net Emissions Pledge
C2N powerfully underscores Iberdrola's unwavering commitment to a sustainable energy paradigm that harmonises with both nature and humanity. This steadfast model is rooted in two pivotal objectives: attaining net-zero emissions across all scopes by 2040 and achieving a net positive impact on biodiversity by 2030, in line with the company's visionary Biodiversity Plan.
Leveraging the inherent synergy between Iberdrola's climate and biodiversity aspirations, C2N stands poised to elevate and amplify internal nature restoration endeavours while harnessing the boundless opportunities of the green economy. A poignant example of this commitment lies in the Tree Programme, an initiative launched in 2020 aimed at conserving and planting an impressive 20 million trees by 2030.
Emerging Through PERSEO
Carbon2Nature emerges under the aegis of Iberdrola's dynamic start-up initiative, PERSEO, a robust platform driving innovative solutions spanning renewable energy, decarbonisation, electrification of economies, grid digitalisation, efficient storage, and environmental preservation.
Iberdrola's visionary enterprise redefines the boundaries of sustainable progress with the support of a thriving ecosystem that includes over 7,500 startups, including unicorn companies like Wallbox—a pioneer in electric vehicle charging solutions—and Stem—an innovator in smart battery storage solutions.
To view and compare company ESG Ratings and Sustainability Reports across sectors, follow our Company ESG Profiles page.